The AirPods Pro like to be a constant companion in many people’s lives. They are not only with us on the way to work, but also during sports. The question here is whether the AirPods Pro are also waterproof? Can you withstand normal sweat and a bit of rain, and are you allowed to take them to the swimming pool? Here you can find out everything you need to know about this.
In this article:
Are the AirPods Pro waterproof?
- AirPods 1st and 2nd generation: not waterproof, not water protected
- AirPods Pro: not waterproof, but water protected
- AirPods and AirPods Pro charging case: not waterproof, not water protected.
ANZEIGE – Letzte Aktualisierung am 2021-10-20 at 21:01 / Affiliate Links / Bilder von der Amazon Product Advertising API
What is the difference between waterproof and water protected?
Waterproof means that a device is protected from large amounts of liquid, such as jets of water, and you can submerge it. Waterproof, on the other hand, means that a device is safe from dripping and splashing water and can also withstand sweat, which occurs during sports, for example. However, you can’t submerge it and it’s not protected against water jets either.
So, in summary, your AirPods Pro are not waterproof, but they can withstand a few drops of water and some sweat.
Is the water protection always there?
It’s important that you know that manufacturers refer to as-new items with their claims. However, electrical devices like headphones wear out over time. This is how the seals and materials used age. While the AirPods Pro may still be water-resistant when new, this does not necessarily apply to two-year-old models. The fact that the water protection of the AirPods Pro disappears over time is part of normal wear and tear.
Water-protected AirPods Pro: What is allowed and what should you avoid?
Your AirPods Pro can withstand a few drops of rainwater, according to Apple. So a walk in light rain shouldn’t be a problem either. Wiping the in-ears with a damp cloth shouldn’t be a problem either.
However, you should definitely not take a shower with the headphones or clean them under running water, since the AirPods Pro are not waterproof. Also, you must not use them for swimming or diving. In addition, water vapor, like in a sauna or steam bath, is also harmful to the headphones. Therefore, it is better to keep them outside.
If you do drop the AirPods Pro in water, you must not turn them on shortly after. The AirPods Pro are not waterproof and may suffer damage in such an incident. It’s best to let them dry for a few hours and then check if they still work. Also, the AirPods Pro should be completely dry before you put them back into the charging case. The case could be damaged by possible moisture.
The AirPods Pro are waterproof? This is what Apple’s warranty says
The AirPods Pro aren’t waterproof, but Apple has tested the headphones under controlled lab conditions and rated them IPX4 according to IEC standard 60529. This means that they are water resistant. Various YouTube tutorials show that the headphones can withstand quite a bit of water, but you should still be careful and not try anything.
If the AirPods Pro are damaged, the manufacturer does not offer a warranty anymore. This damage is self-inflicted and a possible repair has to be paid for by the user.
Your AirPods Pro are not waterproof – Here’s how you can still clean them effectively
When cleaning your in-ear headphones, there are a few points that you should definitely keep in mind. This way, you can be sure that no damage will be done to them.
ANZEIGE – Letzte Aktualisierung am 2021-10-20 at 16:51 / Affiliate Links / Bilder von der Amazon Product Advertising API
- Under no circumstances should you clean your headphones under running water, as the AirPods Pro are not waterproof.
- It is best to use a soft and dry cloth. Make sure that it does not lint.
- You can also dip a cloth in fresh water beforehand, squeeze it, and then wipe the AirPods. After that, use the dry cloth again. Wait a bit until the headphones are completely dry before putting them into the charging case.
- You are not allowed to use certain products. This includes for example: Shampoos, hair conditioners, soaps, various lotions, strong solvents or detergents or acidic liquids.
- When cleaning, make sure that no liquids get into the openings. Use a dry cotton swab for the speaker grille and microphone.
- The case of the AirPods Pro is more sensitive, as it is not water-protected either. Therefore, only use a dry cloth for cleaning.
The AirPods Pro are not waterproof, at least they can only withstand a certain amount of water and liquid. So, it is important for you to keep them away from water and prevent possible damage better that way. Do you still have questions about this topic? Leave us a comment below.